Mooses Mentula (b. 1976 in Tuupovaara) portrays childhood in northern Finland in his works. His debut work, a volume of short stories entitled Musta timantti (â€˜Black Diamondâ€™), was published in 2011. That was followed two years later by his first novel, IsÃ¤n kanssa kahden (â€˜Like Father, Like Sonâ€™).
The stark contrast between urban southern Finland and the unrefined northern part of the country has been a rare theme in literature of recent years. Mentulaâ€™s realistic descriptions of the rural districts are as humorous as they are melancholy. Above all, IsÃ¤n kanssa kahden is also the story of a broken family and a boy who is forced to shuttle between two worlds.
Mooses Mentula grew up in the Kainuu region in eastern Finland and spent a total of seven years in Lapland. He has worked as a journalist for radio and various newspapers. Today he is the headmaster of a small school in Tuusula in southern Finland.
Nordlicht â€“ SÃ¼dlicht, Weidle Verlag 2014, Ãœbersetzung: Antje Mortzfeldt.
Photo: Â© Veikko Somerpuro
- Finnland. Cool. Party, 09.10.2014 17:00
- Open Books: Mooses Mentula Â»Nordlicht â€“ SÃ¼dlichtÂ« Lesung und GesprÃ¤ch, 10.10.2014 18:30
- Reading | Lesung, 11.10.2014 12:00
- Leseinsel der unabhÃ¤ngigen Verlage: Mooses Mentula Â»Nordlicht â€“ SÃ¼dlichtÂ«, 12.10.2014 13:00
- Lesung, 15.10.2014
- Mooses Mentula: Â»Nordlicht – SÃ¼dlichtÂ« Lesung und GesprÃ¤ch, 16.10.2014 20:00
- Literaturtage Zofingen: Lesung Mooses Mentula Â»Nordlicht â€“ SÃ¼dlichtÂ«, 18.10.2014 16:30
- Literaturtage Zofingen: Diskussion zum Thema Schule/Lesen mit Mooses Mentula, 19.10.2014 14:30